"There's just no accounting for happiness, or the way it turns up like a prodigal who comes back to the dust at your feet having squandered a fortune far away." (Jane Kenyon)

Friday, November 4, 2011

Life Before My Eyes

Tuesday morning I went in to see what was going on with my breast, the same breast that has been giving me grief since 2005. It's become a problem, like a huge, 2-liter bottle hanging on my left side problem. A I'm embarrassed to go out in public problem and nothing fits me problem. Anyway, after a quick mammogram and ultrasound, I was rushed to Radiology for a core biopsy, and then quickly rushed across town to a surgeon. Things didn't look good. Everyone was looking at me with these eyes that said, "Poor thing, she's totally screwed." Within minutes of being with the surgeon, he told me the tumor had completely taken over my breast and we were talking about which type of breast cancer it probably was, chemo, radiation, mastectomies, etc. I tried to act tough, like he was talking about my toenails and not my lymph nodes, but by the time I left his office I was shaking, and when Mark met me on our driveway I totally broke. Once again, we were waiting for that daunting phone call of fate.
It came Thursday morning when I was in line at Target with apple juice and formula in my cart. I figured Target was as good a place as any. The nurse said something about the findings being consistent with a
fibroadenom, which is what it's always been, a benign knot. No cancer. I gave Mark a thumb's up from across the cash register where he was walking a fussy Malcolm. Both of our knees and shoulders folded in relief. While I had been Googling carcinomas on the internet the last two days, and deciding I was probably a scarf and not a hat person, and would prefer a flap procedure rather than get a waterbed put in my chest, Mark had been worrying about the prospect of being a single father of five. They were heavy, sleepless days.
Anyway, we celebrated with chili rellenos and all the Halloween candy we wanted. I'm a lucky girl. I might still lose my breast, but it could've been worse. A lot worse.
I fear I've become cliche, but it's really true that when faced with something like this everything gets put in its proper place. I've been thinking of all the moments and opportunities I miss out on not because I'm dying of cancer but because I'm lazy, impatient or preoccupied. My two surprise baby boys don't seem like the mistakes to be resented or speed bumps they often do, rather the blessings they were always meant to be. My self-interested ambitions seem silly in comparison to getting down on the floor and playing monster truck with Declan, coloring with Charlotte, or letting Mark fall asleep on my arm like he likes to. My life may be unglamorous and unspectacular, but it's a life without cancer, a life of meaning, a life of simple pleasures like sipping Cokes on the swing in the last warmth of Fall. I'm grateful for the corrected perspective. I'm going to try my damnest to hold on to it, but even now, three days later, I can feel how easy it is to let it slip and slide away.

7 comments:

Emily said...

Everyone needs a scare once in awhile to put things in perspective Annie. I am so happy it turned out no cancer! The surgery will be challenge enough. Love you Annie!!!

Amanda said...

OH MY!!! So happy it turned out to not be cancer. Sorry there needs to be a surgery. Did I mention that I'm SO HAPPY it's not cancer. My heart was beating out of it's chest reading this.

Christie said...

Oh, Ann. I have been thinking about you a lot for the past week, not realizing this was going on.

What a relief!!

What a good reminder of the fragility of life and all of our blessings.

I'm glad to have you as one of mine!

Hang in there.

o charm said...

God bless you.

Lisa Fox said...

That was such an intense post. I am SOOO glad it isn't cancer. Surgery is going to be no fun but at least you will get some relief. You have such a great attitude, glad you share it with us! :)

FunnyFauxs said...

Ann, I was just perusing my blog and laughed that I haven't updated it in two years. Then I thought I would take a look at yours. I am so glad I did. I am so glad to hear that you don't have cancer. Wow what an ordeal and relief.

You are an amazing person and I love how you have such a real yet humors outlook on life. Sometimes it is just better to laugh than to cry. I can't believe you have 5 kids now. You probably can't either. Apparently those boys just needed to come. They are very cute. I do hope you keep treading along trying to keep your head above water. I hope I get the chance to see you sometime.

Strawberry Shortcake said...

Ann,

I am so happy it isn't cancer! I have been thinking about you a lot lately and want you to know you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. I pray you can have the strength to get through this difficult time and the happiness to enjoy the blessings relief can bring. Take care, sweet lady!

Blog Archive