"There's just no accounting for happiness, or the way it turns up like a prodigal who comes back to the dust at your feet having squandered a fortune far away." (Jane Kenyon)

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

More Like a Canteloupe


People have said they love my blog because I'm so open and honest. Well, I can't think of anything more open and honest than these pictures. I debated whether or not it was going to be too much, but this really happened and it was ugly and awful and a pain in the ass, but it was also a part of my fistful of daisies. They said the tumor was going to be the size of a lemon, that's what the ultrasound had shown anyway, but when they cut me open, the surgeon found a tumor that he said was "more like a cantaloupe." We were also expecting to walk out of the hospital with little or no breast, and now I'm home and recovering, and the good news is my perky, you'd never know I had five kids breast is healing well (how did they do it?!), and there's NO CANCER.
I'm hoping when I look back at these pictures years from now I'll remember that terrible, hard, and unfair things happen, like tumors the size of cantaloupes, but we can handle it, we're strong enough. I hope I also remember that really wonderful, brave and kind things happen too, like that gut feeling that led me to just the right surgeons, and friends who play with your babies and sing to them in their cribs when you can't. Life is both open wound and pinching, screaming pain in your side, and miracle and chocolate cake on the doorstep.

9 comments:

BP said...

I love you Ann. Marci and I would like nothing more than to be there to help you and your family. We are going big and you will allow us to treat you like a queen when we come in August (can you still make me one of your amazing dinners?). Love you.

Karrot Soup said...

!! Wowsers. I hope you're on lots of pain killers as well as the chocolate cake... and my one other question is, did this happen under general or did you, um, witness said honesty as it was happening? (In other words, at what point did you nearly faint, during or after?) Keep it up, we love you.

Lisa Fox said...

I'm with Kristen...WOWSERS!!! That is amazing. I can't believe that was in you. I am SO glad that it wasn't cancer and that you are able to have people help with family and take care of you. Chocolate cake sounds like a good starting point for recovery!
****oh and I love the honesty too!

kto1s said...

Can't get more "open" than that! Ann-I hope recovery goes well and am relieved at the cancer free diagnosis (& the added bonus that the "girls" look great too;). Hugs too you as you ride this rollercoaster-emotion filled journey of life! I'm so glad I got to ride right alongside of you & become friends 9 years ago!

Emily said...

Wow! LOVE the picture, that was an impressive tumor and what was even more impressive is that it was cancer free!!!! YEAH!!! Recover quickly Annie! Each day should get a little better! Love you!

seaglassmama said...

Fascinating! I am glad you shared and I am glad you are well. You are amazing.. Kirstin

Kimberly Pace Henderson said...

Holy Freaking Hannah.

Jordan said...

Yes. Open. "Both open wound and pinching..." You said it, sister!

You
Are
Amazing
and
I am so glad to know you. Sending speedy recovery vibes your way!

Christie said...

Some how I'm seeing this way late. Wow, you are ah-ma-zing! Don't push yourself too hard even after you're feeling better. Take care.

Blog Archive