"There's just no accounting for happiness, or the way it turns up like a prodigal who comes back to the dust at your feet having squandered a fortune far away." (Jane Kenyon)

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Auf Wiedersehen


Mark woke Eleanor up just moments before the shuttle arrived to take him to the airport. It was 3:15AM. Everyone else was asleep. We stood, huddled in the front door, as the taillights faded into the warm, dark quiet. And then I tucked her into bed with me and promised, against her tears, that he would be home soon. But I lied, one of those necessary lies, because eight days is NOT soon. I know people are separated from their daddies and lovers all the time and for longer periods of time, but we are all gloriously accustomed to having our Marko around A LOT. It's our little luxury. I guess you could say we're all hooked. And now we must do without him. This will not be easy.

1 comment:

Kimberly Pace Henderson said...

I wish we were there for the eight days that he is gone, it looks like you are filling your time with excitement though and we will see you oh so soon!

Blog Archive